Monday, July 19, 2010

"Every event turns into a Joseph reunion..."

It was a Saturday night, at the Rooney's house on the water in Stratford. The air was warmed, the breeze gentle, and the old blue Victorian house stood tall, proud and welcoming, much like the family inside. The brown fence in appearance was strong, but as teenagers hopped the fence, it proved otherwise. It held many teenagers, adults and children in the confinements of the green grass, tall trees and the volleyball net. This was Quinn's graduation party, holding close friends and family to laugh, play, eat and talk.

Brigitta and I walked into the yard as we located close friends, better known as our "Joseph" friends, within the loquacious crowd. Once they were spotted by the stereo, we made a beeline towards them, avoiding small children and miscellaneous bags along the way. As more friends came, strangers left, and the crowd started to trickle towards cars, soon there were only eight of us, all laughing and talking like always.

There are not many people I feel 100% comfortable with. There are some people I'm scared to offend, some I'm scared will judge me, and others I'm scared will understand me more than I do myself. But sitting outside with these boys, these girls. I understand what comfort is. I can go up to any of the guys, any of the girls, and understand that yeah, there is judgment. But there is also so much understanding, caring and just the upspoken thing. The Joseph kids always have your back, the will help you when they can, and they are ALL compassionate caring people, who sometimes make a mistake or two like the rest of us. When you have friends who all care about eachother, and understand that... you have a peace like no other.

At 12:30am we left Quinn's house with laughter, hugs, and promises to see eachother before the new year of school. As many friends leave me for college, I know, as do they, life doesn't get better than this. Hold onto what you need, can, and love, while embracing the future and the new passions you'll attain.

No comments: