Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Being the Cliff

A cool night is being replaced, the sun making its way up the sky, removing those night chills, leaving a warmth blanketing the new day. I feel the water, smooth glass lapping and running though me, long ago I lost the fight against the water. This water dug a grove though me, boats now frequenting a spot that used to be mine; but I cannot fight them and I will not win, I have no control, I just am.

I know that I am beautiful, that my jagged edges were long ago admired. That with the water, I was the rough edge of a smooth surface. Most of all I realized that everyone has placed me with the water, yes we are here, but the water has never been constant. Like many people's experiences here, water is as fleeting as a summer romance.

The sun is now high in the sky, I can feel how dry my rocks are, despite the green rooted in me. The water is particularly cool, the mist spitting against the jagged rocks, leaving a salty smell that I find so endearing.

2 comments:

Lauren said...

is this inspired by the a certain place? i like the descriptions and how "...the water has never been constant. Like many people's experiences here, water is as fleeting as a summer romance." this was my favorite... i don't know if it's a simile or a metaphore, i was never very good at seprating the two. i like how you described somewhat majestically and using the point of view of this... cliff is it?... it has a way to it that kept me reading, probably by fair my favorite piece, up there if the music poem!

Maddie said...

this was inspired by a calender picture of these beautiful two cliffs, with tropical water in between. we had to write about it from the perspective of an object, so i was the cliff, who was divided into two by the water. that was a simile, because it featured like and as, but it only needs one to be a simile. and thank you, i really appreciate that.