Monday, September 29, 2008

Richard Wright's Black Boy paper

Intro:
“I could, of course, forget what I had read, thrust the whites out of my mind, forget them; and find release from anxiety and longing in sex and alcohol. But the memory of how my father had conducted himself made that course repugnant. If I did not want others to violate my life, how could I voluntarily violate myself.” pg. 253 In Black Boy, an autobiography by Richard Wright, the struggles are shown in finding an identity while living through losses and beatings of all kinds. Richard truly had an innocent life as a small child. He was curious, stubborn, and just wanted to grow up. But once he did, he learned and realized what life is like living with racism and misfortune. Through reading numerous books, he found the truth in life; becoming more insurgent internally, and more aware and understanding of the life around him. Richard Wright’s autobiography isn’t a lesson plan, and once we can feel our rawest emotions, that huge impression, we will begin to understand. This isn’t like a textbook; it was meant to be read with each struggle. Throughout the whole book, you see his transformation from a little child with only enough understanding to suffice his imagination to a young man with more knowledge than most of the whites, and definitely more than the other Negroes.

No comments: